Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Health Update

Sorry for using the blog for "unfun" reasons like health, but I know people are concerned, so I wanted to post here to let you know what is happening.

I have had to go back to the ER, but this time I chose a private clinic. The doctor seemed good and he diagnosed me with E. coli infection. He started me on IV antibiotics because I couldn't tolerate anything in my stomach. I will go back the next two evenings to get IV antibiotics and anti-nausea medication. The last IV I will time so that the anti-nausea meds overlap with my flight back to America on Thursday.

The American duty officer and Consulate in Izmir, and my friends at the embassy are in the loop, and they have been very supportive. My coworker and dear friend Feryal has spent this week being my personal doctor, ER driver, and interpreter, as has my friend, Okan.

The last few days have been pretty hard for me. I feel ok right now and am just hoping that it will continue. If you could send me some good energy or prayers or whatever you do, I could use them now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, dear Melanie - I am so bummed to hear about the unfortunate ending to your adventure - it's the Ayrun yogurt drink, I know it! I hope that soon some good 'ol apple pie American comfort gets you back to your perky self. But in the meanwhile maybe you can just get some good drugs for your flight from the Turkish heathcare system and an upgrade to first class! Wishing you peaceful journeys and so much love xx Lish